Complete List of Databases (A-Z)
Below are “databases” that our library subscribes to. They contain loads of information not necessarily found through the Internet. You’ll need your library card to log into most of these databases.
Auto Repair Reference Center covers more than 35,000 vehicles from 1945 to present. Content includes nearly 857,000 drawings and step-by-step photographs, approximately 99,000 technical service bulletins & recalls issued by the original equipment vehicle manufacturer, over 158,600 enhanced wiring diagrams for easy viewing and printing, specifications & maintenance schedules, Labor Time Guide & Estimator, AutoIQ. Video Tutorial [4:30 minutes]
BC Laws – Free public access to the Statutes & Regulations of B.C.
British Columbia Codes (in Library Use Only) – Includes the current BC Building Code (including Plumbing Services) and the BC Fire Code.
British Columbia Statistics – Statistics on population, business, the economy, labour and society. From BCStats, the central statistical agency of the Province of British Columbia.
Access 2006 Census full (31 page) profiles or any item with a “key” icon beside it is available here
. (Note: Remote access is permitted if your library can provide authentication.)
Business Plan Handbooks – A compilation of business plans developed by small businesses throughout North America. Access is made possible by the Small Business Accelerator at the Irving K. Barber Learning Centre at UBC with financial support from the Sutherland Foundation.
Clicklaw – An Internet subject guide to authoritative legal resources in BC and Canada. Developed by the Legal Services Society of BC and now maintained by the BC Courthouse Library Society. No library card is required to access this resource on the Internet.
Coursera – Coursera provides universal access to the world’s best education, partnering with top universities and organizations to offer courses for anyone to take, for free.
– Search the content of more than 10,000 popular and academic magazines, reference books,
plus images, covering all subject areas, from current events and history to the arts and sciences. Many Canadian titles are included. Narrow results by date, subject, publication, etc. Video Tutorial
GreenFile [EBSCO] – Provides information related to all aspects of human impact on the environment, from global warming to recycling to alternate fuel sources and more. Identifies or provides full-text access to scholarly, government and general-interest periodicals and reports.
IndieFlix – Watch award-winning shorts, features, and documentaries from more than 50 countries. Streaming movies available on all Internet-enabled computers, tablets (including iPad and Android), smart phones through the Web browser, and on Roku and Xbox.
Khan Academy – “Learn almost anything for free.” 3300 videos explain many subjects.
KnowBC Online (In-Library use only) – Includes the following resources:
- Encyclopedia of British Columbia – With more than 4,000 entries and 1,500 accompanying photographs, maps, charts and tables, as well as sound and video clips.
- Marine Life of the Pacific Northwest – A Photographic Encyclopedia of Invertebrates, Seaweeds and Selected Fishes.
- The Encyclopedia of Raincoast Place Names – A Complete Reference to Coastal British Columbia
- Far West – The Story of British Columbia
- Raincoast Chronicles 20 – Lilies and Fireweed: Frontier Women of British Columbia.
- Where Mountains Meet the Sea – A History of Coastal BC
Library To Go / Overdrive Download best-selling and classic audiobooks and eBooks 24/7 to your computer, e-Reader or mobile device anywhere in the world. It is free; all you need is a library card.
NNELS Downloadable talking books for persons with print disabilities.
Lynda.com Over 5000 on-line courses on a wide range of topics.
RB Digital – Provides access to our library’s downloadable audioBook collection. You can access these audioBooks 24 hours a days, seven days a week.
Points to the Past – Searchable primary source material: maps, photos, newspapers, manuscripts, pamphlets, portraits, sermons, poems, and more. For research, teaching and learning.
Small Engine Repair Reference Center – Clymer manuals containing thousands of maintenance and repair instructions for hundreds of small engine machines. Routine maintenance and more extensive repairs for motorcycles, ATVs, personal water craft, snowmobiles, lawn mowers, tractors, snow blowers, generators, and more are covered. Video Tutorial [3 minutes]
– Provides access to our library’s downloadable audioBook and magazine collection and IndieFlix. This link provides more information about how to use the services, download apps and answers other questions. You can access these 24 hours a days, seven days a week. Free with your library card. You can read on your computer, tablet or smartphone.