Social Media Policy
This policy governs staff and patron use of Lillooet Area Library Association social media.
STATEMENT OF COMMITMENT
The Lillooet Area Library Association (LALA) is committed to using social media technology to share information with our patrons and partners, and to offer an auxiliary means of communication among our patrons, partners, and staff.
Objectives of LALA’s social media presence include:
- Extending the reach of LALA’s online message, thereby improving relationships with library patrons, potential patrons and key influencers.
- Providing an interactive, real-time platform using an informal/human voice to engage in dialog.
- Providing a simple method for patrons to provide feedback and seek assistance
- Providing wide-ranging entry points to our services and collections
- Demonstrating our commitment to and understanding of emerging media/technology
- Providing opportunities to train staff in the use of social media
The following standards apply to staff use of Lillooet Area Library Association (LALA) social media:
- Do not mix the professional and the personal in ways likely to bring LALA into disrepute.
- Do not undermine your effectiveness at work.
- Do not imply LALA endorsement of your personal views.
- Do not disclose confidential information obtained through work.
Social media sites provide a place for promoting the free exchange of ideas, which Lillooet Area Library Association will encourage.
Content that violates privacy or other legislation will be removed from the site.
Violations will result in restrictions on future postings to LALA social media sites.
LALA reserves the right to edit or modify submissions when re-posting or providing comment. LALA is not responsible for the reliability of content provided via links posted to our social media sites.
Being followed by LALA on any social media platform or having messages or content created by other parties shared on LALA social media does not imply endorsement.
LALA welcomes feedback and ideas from all our patrons, and will join the conversation where possible. We will read all messages and comments and ensure that emerging themes or helpful suggestions are passed to the relevant staff at LALA; however, LALA will not be able to reply individually to all messages received via social media.
Patrons are reminded to protect their privacy when participating in online public forums.
If you have any concerns regarding application of this policy or LALA social media sites please contact the Lillooet Area Library Association and you will receive a response in two working days.
Adapted from the Hamilton Public Library and Rossland Public Library, January 2014